Tuesday 8 May 2012

Black Dawn by Rachel Caine review!

Black Dawn (The Morganville Vampires, #12)Black Dawn by Rachel Caine
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Basic overview:

This is the twelfth Morganville vampire book and I'm not remotely board of the characters and I'm still excited about the rest of the series. This book was no let down.




Characters:

I have loved the main characters from the very beginning and they just seem to grow and develop as real people would. When reading this book at no point did I feel the characters did anything which didn't fit with my view of them. My favourite characters have to be Shane and Myrnin but I also like the main character Claire. She isn't a damsel in distress like some other female leads in vampire books which I like.




Plot:

The plot felt believable for the setting and didn't feel at all contrived I understood in the context of the characters why certain things happened. It flowed well with the rest of the series and allowed for more to follow.




Writing:

This is the only section of the review where I will moan. I like most of the features of Rachel Caines writing the only downside is as I'm reading it there are points when I know I'm reading something someone has written. This may sound stupid but I'm sure all avid readers know, when your reading a great book it feels real and natural and not a contrived piece of fiction. Rachel Caine continually uses the phrase 'then they look at me as if they hadn't seen me before'. Trust me she uses it a lot and it comes from different characters voices so it felt written and not natural.

I also am not sure I'm keen on the fact that she has started to flit between characters perspectives with each chapter. It's a good idea but does show up some flaws in her writing


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment